Smartphone usage has increased manifolds in the past few years and all of this happened because of the development of apps. These apps have been a great influence on changing our lifestyle and that is why people are using them at a greater level.
Hackers take this as an opportunity and use this dependency to gain illegal access to our personal data. According to the latest reports shared by McAfee Antivirus, apps on our mobile are the most active mobile threats.
Mobile threats that could impact your life:
- LeifAccess– It is also known as ‘Shopper’ which is an Android-based malware. This malware is distributed through social media, gaming platforms, and fake promotions, and advertisements. It also uses third-party logins to cheat app ranking systems and harms the victims’ devices.
Moreover, hackers are also trapping users into installing adware onto their devices. They do so by redirecting the victim to a variety of fraudulent ads which once clicked may lead you to a fake website.
- HiddenAds- these pretend to be as genuine apps like Spotify and FaceApp which ultimately tricks the users into downloading the app. When you install such apps, their icon changes similar to the ‘Settings’ icon. When a user tries to open this app, he sees a message asking him to uninstall the app.
How to stay protected from mobile malware?
Hackers try to find out the channels on which the users spend most of the time. When they get to know about it they devise a plan to target the users and this is the time when you should take action. You should follow these security tips to build a defensive fortress against mobile threats:
- Do thorough research- if you are downloading an application from social media platforms, fake ads, or other such sources, then you must do thorough research. Sometimes, downloading an app from the official platforms such as Play Store can also be harmful.
- Read the app review- although there is a trend of fake reviews, it can still be considered a good way to decide whether an app is legitimate or malicious. Differentiate between a fake and real review and then decide if you should download an app or not.
- Update your devices- one should frequently update the operating systems of the devices he is using. Along with this, you should also update apps so that they have the latest fixes.
- Use a strong antivirus- To get free from all the issues with your device, you need strong malware support. Mcafee antivirus is one of those that can be trusted to insert in your device.
In addition to this, you can use mobile security software such as McAfee Mobile Security available at mcafee.com/activate.